Style Nesia features Crochet Style Serv (Interview 101) ~ Style Nesia
Skip to main content

Style Nesia features Crochet Style Serv (Interview 101)

 

Crotchet fashion


It's finally here! Remember we promised you something hooge in our last crochet article. We delivered. 


Our first interview series is here. And we invited the CEO of an amazing crochet brand Crochetstyleserv to give you a rundown of everything Crochet. 


We love to give you options to become a fashion trendsetter. So cross your legs, eat popcorn, and enjoy the show… oh sorry I mean interview.

Shall We?


Crotchetstyleserv CEO

Welcome to the interview Favour, I can call you that right?


Thank you, Precious, yes you can.


We are so glad to have you here with us, and I'm sure our audience would love to learn from you.


I am happy to be here 


Oh and by the way I am loving your outfit, proud to showcase your brand I can see.


You know the drill


Before we talk about your brand, tell us a little bit about yourself.


The first thing I say when I get a question like this is something obvious you’d notice the moment you see me. I’m short. A 4’11 baddie. 


I did notice, small but mighty I must say.


True true, lol so let’s be real. My name is Iyiomo Favour. I am a Medical Laboratory Scientist Student at the University of Lagos. I am in my 3rd year. My hobbies are watching movies and reading books. I’ve lost touch with the hobby of reading novels but I’m getting into it. As a freelancer, I work as a writer and a social media manager. So yes, link me up with gigs! I’m a fun and cool person. I play a lot but can also be serious when necessary.


Gurll!! You're a bookworm like me, I love it. I beg you to regain your touch because hmmm. So a little bit off the track there, how do you balance school, work, and your business?


See ehnnn, it’s God. That’s the only thing I can say. My mom always tells me not to take on any jobs while in school but how else would I survive? I need the money and I’m not getting it for free anywhere. My allowance can barely sustain me so I need these jobs. So I just do it. I don’t know how but I do it. It’s hard and to be honest, it adds a strain on my studies but I am still doing it. With God’s grace, I’ll continue to pull it off. But during exams, my tabs are clear sha.


That's really amazing, keep it up!

Favour talks about her brand


Crotchetstyleserv Logo
 

What made you start crocheting?


Well, it’s quite a story. 


We are here for it! Please tell us.


I already knew how to crochet from when I was in JSS 1. A few girls in my class knew how to and there was this particular girl whose work was so neat. I fell in love instantly and begged them to teach me. After a while, I too became a boss with neat stitches. But as I said, it was just basic stuff. I could only make chains and double crochet (I didn’t even know these terms at this point, I only knew what my friends told me to do). I could also use these techniques to make bags (that was basically what all of us were doing. A few could make caps but I just couldn’t get it). Then in JSS 2, I changed schools and we had a topic on crocheting in home economics. In my head, I’m like “Me I’m bad at crocheting oo, let me showcase my skill”. I got my classmates to pay me for their practicals and that was how I made my first cash from crocheting. I even made purses for like two teachers too that time and collected like #500 for them. I was so happy. But after doing a few crochet transactions in JSS2 I stopped and didn’t crochet anymore. 


Fast forward to 2020, covid made a lot of us think about our lives and I tried to go into different things. 


2020, The year of reckoning. 


It was that year I started writing sef. I started a podcast too and stopped. I even went into photo editing but it didn’t last. But at that time I was always on Twitter and this babe @oreakinde was always popping up on my timeline. One day I was just like I can do these things now. In my head, I’m like “Is it not the crochet I know about??”. And let me burst your bubble, I couldn’t do it. I didn’t know how to. I didn’t know how to use crochet techniques and turn them into outfits. I didn’t know anything but that confidence just came from nowhere. That’s how I told my mom that I’m about to start a crochet business. I told my friends too and a few of them already booked what they wanted from me. I also reached out to the people that could give me capital to start (because I didn’t have shishi) and waited. I researched a name I wanted and made a small design using canva (it was when I started using canva too). When the first person I spoke to about capital gave me 5k, I quickly used it to get the materials I’d need from a nearby shop. Then I made my first top (it was my friend’s order) and the rest is what we can see now. Growth!


Growth indeed, I celebrate you, sister! It's interesting to note you've always been a hustler, and the spirit finally paid off.


Crotchetstyleserv branded packaging

It did!


Alright moving on. So why did you decide on purple as your brand colour?


Well, is it purple? It isn’t exactly purple but it’s in the purple family. When I was creating my first logo design on canva I tried out different colours and decided to pick the one that was fine for me. It was all about beauty. At one time, one person reached out to me and was talking about how colour speaks for a brand and purple was feminine and all. But abeg, I don pick am and I don launch am. 


Gbam! Purple is my subconscious favourite too, I find myself being partial to various shades of purple especially when choosing outfits and fabrics.

Purple denotes royalty and I think it works for your brand cause I mean you are in the business of serving class. No higher class than royalty, innit?


You totally get it. Yktv!


Next question, Can you tell us about your brand's progress so far, we know you serve style in the form of crochet wear, which is what we're all about too.


When I started I didn’t think far on how I was going to get customers. See ehn, I’m naturally a negative person, and thinking back I’m surprised my inner me didn’t stop me from doing this. I didn’t even have any thoughts whatsoever that would discourage me. I was ready and I was confident. But like I said 3 of my friends booked ahead and when I made the first top I took pictures of my friend wearing it and posted it. Prior I already announced to my WhatsApp that crochetstyleserv is coming. Later down the line a few people confessed that they didn’t know I was the one that owned it if not for the way I was constantly pushing it out. Anyways, my friend posted the picture on her WhatsApp and referred me. After completing my other two friends' orders I already received new ones. It was basically the work of referrals. Then I was charging so little but I was still happy I was making a profit at least. 


Hmm, jotting things down here, referrals can never be underestimated.


No, they can't.


What is your ultimate goal for Crochetstyleserv?


To be recognized as one of the best and leading crochet brands in the world. 


Big dreams sister. But you can achieve it, we can see that especially with your branding on social media.


It’s God oo. But thank you so much for the encouragement.


Crotchetstyleserv Brand

The Future of Crochet

You are welcome. So in your opinion, where do you see the crochet industry in 10 years?


If you don’t already know, crochet is taking over the fashion industry. What was seen as a usual craft for kids and old people is now seen as a fashion for baddies. Even the men are not left out. Adekunle Gold recently posted a picture of him on Crochet and the same goes for other male celebrities. So it’s not news that crochet fashion is growing fast and at a rapid pace. In 10 years I see crochet as a fashion everyone wants to tap into. I see crochet as an expensive luxury (and I mean more expensive than it is at the moment). I also see a lot of crocheters coming out. It’s going to be a big industry for real!


We look forward to seeing what the crochet industry has in store. Thank you so much for gisting with us today Favour, I had a swell time getting to know you.


So did I, and thank you for having me and making me feel comfortable.


Hahaa we shorties have to stick together, a crazy world and all. So hope we're not asking for much but….we can see you're passionate about what you do. Would you be interested in authoring another article or more for us? 

So we can educate our audience on the wokeness of crochet.


Sure, I would! 


Amazing! Looking forward to working with you Favour.


https://instagram.com/crochetstyleserv?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

It's a Wrap 

We had a great time talking with Favour and we hope you enjoyed the interview too. If you have been curious about crochet, we've got you covered. Crochet Style Serv is here for you, follow her on Instagram and see the amazing goodies she has for you.


Thank you, and till our next article. Bye👋 




Written by Precious Izuka

Comments

Post a Comment